Allard Palm Beach Mk3 (Engine – Jaguar 3.4)
The first production Allard car, after a gap of fifty years, is being manufactured by Allard Sports Cars Ltd. The car is a Palm Beach Mk3. It has a similar body to the Mk2, but has been ‘face lifted’ with an update.
It is a car which was contemplated by Sydney Allard and his business associates in 1958. However, by that time the more profitable Ford business had taken over staff and facilities from the Allard Motor Company, so it was reluctantly decided to cease manufacture of cars in 1958, it being no longer possible to build cars cost effectively alongside the rising tide of competition from other manufacturers.
Now we have entered a completely new era for classic cars – Allard cars included. Allard Sports Cars Ltd. are still a family business and are following a unique legacy built up over many years. Detailed drawings or pictures of the Mk3 are not yet ready to be released, but the following details are available now.
This new car is an authentic Allard, built by Allards at Allards, with a continuation ‘dormant’ Allard chassis number 72/7108XK and assisted by original Allard Motor Company engineers. Apart from the original cars, you can’t get more authentic than that.
The body will be all aluminium, hand rolled and formed on new bucks, which are being manufactured after 3D scanning the Mk2 Palm Beach bodyshell.
The doors and all other outer and inner panels are formed in aluminium and fabricated and welded by Lloyd Allard, in the Allard workshops, as are all the other aluminium components, such as radiator and fuel tank.
The body style is similar to the Mk2 with detail changes to the radiator aperture and side vents, windscreen profile and revision to the front and rear ‘bumpers’, steering wheel and seats.
Beneath the skin at the front, rack and pinion steering replaces the traditional ‘Marles’ box. With an anti roll bar, together with suspension wishbones, twin torsion bars and telescopic dampers.
Disc brakes are fitted at front and inboard at the rear, coupled to the differential which is mounted in tandem with the De-Dion style rear suspension. This is completed with twin parallel radius rods attached at each end of the dead axle tube, a panhard rod and coil springs, with separate dampers.
This is a car that was considered in 1958 by the old Allard Motor Company and may have been built in the years 1959/60 had they decided to continue manufacture of cars at that time.
We plan to build only a very small number of these cars. Each car will be hand built by skilled engineers and craftsmen and can be tailored to match the requirements of individual owners, in respect of engine, transmission, trimming and bodywork colour.
Below – Lloyd Allard explaining the chassis design, the design is much the same as the original, twin tubular steel rails with flitch plating both inside and out, incorporating upgraded front suspension components. This process of the build took some time to decide the best format. Lloyd decided to use forged wishbone assemblies, both upper and lower arms, the arms are fully adjustable, both for chamber and caster adjustments. The damper and spring assemblies are coil over units, also with adjustment of height and damping hardness. There will be two options regarding the rear axle format, De Dion is the preferred option over the original live rear axle, this is because it offers better traction and control. (The first works prototype currently has a live rear axle – as per photo).
Transmission – Moss gearbox, five speed.